-

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pocketed Bed Runner

I did this tutorial for The Ribbon Retreat's amazing 'Boy Series'...
 Oh boy!  I am so happy to share a project I made for MY BOY!

My sweet son is always stashing things away in his pockets, bookbag, etc.
So why not give him a spot to keep his books, legos, and toys at bedtime?

Here is what you will need to make a twin-size, quilted bed runner with pockets!
 I chose a medium chevron from Riley Blake in the color "Boy".  (appropriate, eh?)
 Sew the smaller pieces to either end of the larger piece...
Set the backing aside and pull out your 'Little Fattie" pack.
I used Riley Blake's "One For the Boys".

Choose five coordinating fat squares to use and cut EACH as shown below...
 Play with the quilt pieces until you come up with a pattern you are pleased with.



 Come up with a pattern to actually "quilt" all three layers together.
I did a larger chevron pattern to stitch.
 It's time to use your bias tape; mine is in 'navy'.
 You will now iron your tape, as follows:
 You will start by applying bias tape to the short edges of the bed runner...
 Sew right by the edge to finish tape.


 You are almost done!  
Finish by applying the bias tape to both long edges of the bed runner.
This will 'seal' the edge and form the pocket!


That's the last step!  Your quilted bed runner is done.
I LOVE the patterned whimsy that this adds to my little fella's bed:)
 And who can resist the coziness of anything quilted?
Not me!
 The backing is equally adorable!

 It didn't take long for my boy to feel the pockets with books, legos, chapstick, 
& even a rock collection!
(How long do you think until I find candy in there?! )
I am by NO MEANS a quilter, but I really enjoyed this beginning quilting project.

Hooray for all the boys in our lives!  
Make this project for your sweet boy and see what 'treasures' he stows away in the pocketed bed runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your support!