-

Monday, June 18, 2012

Chalkboard from a Crib

I don't know who was more excited when I bought my first home...
me or my mom!

Wonder why?

Because then it was my turn to finally take back all of the 'junk' I had been storing 
at my parents' house!
One of those being, the crib they used for me as a baby:)
I had seen a couple of ideas to turn your crib into a shelf or a bench,
but couldn't bare the idea of chopping my crib in half!
So, I when I saw this idea at Design Sponge, I knew that was the route to go.

 Here's my awesomely '80s crib:
I took off all of the hardware.

 Dusted and cleaned off the cobwebs.  Eeew!
 Filled the holes with wood filler and sanded smooth!
 Next I spray-painted one crib piece a bright red!
The other crib piece I revamped with a light cream color:)
Finally I used this Rust-Oleum brand Chalkboard paint to paint the centers of the crib.
I was surprised at how easy it was to use and how smoothly it applied!
The hardest part was waiting for the chalkboard paint to dry/cure!
I was so anxious to try them out!

I distressed the red chalkboard a bit,
but kept the cream one nice, shiny, & smooth.
 I have used these beautiful chalkboards at SO many different events: bridal showers, birthday parties, luncheons, baby showers, etc.

But the MAIN people who use these chalkboards are the KIDS!

 I decided to not fix mine to each other, easel-style.

For one, I couldn't decide on the color:)

But also, keeping them separate makes it SO easy to move them. 

Even the kids can move them.
I also love this alternative to painting with chalkboard paint on the actual wall:
they can draw outside, inside, upstairs, downstairs, etc.

So if you have your old crib hanging out in your storage shed (a.k.a. parent's house), 
or if your last baby is just about ready to move to a "big kid" bed,
grab some chalkboard paint and go crazy!
You will LOVE the results!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! I wish I had kept my old crib now. Great job. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! What a great re-purpose! Thanks for entering Blog Wars, and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support!