-

Friday, May 18, 2012

Back Elastic Waistband

I'm back to show you how I finished my Pintuck Skirt's waistband!
I started with two waistband pieces, approximately 3" wide.
They were the same length as the top of my skirt.

Sew the waistband pieces (right-sides-together) at the sides.
This will form a circle that you will attach (rst) to the top of the skirt.
Press the seam TOWARD the waistband.  Not the skirt body.
 Cut a length of elastic approximately 1/2 the length of the back waistband.
Sew elastic on bottom half of waistband at existing side seams.
 Next, fold and press 1/4" of top waistband down.
Do this ALL the way around waistband.
You may want to use pins for the next step.

You are going to fold the TOP of the waistband down to cover the seam where your skirt/waistband meet.
Let me repeat that: 
You are going to fold the TOP of the waistband down to cover the seam where your skirt/waistband meet.
Does that make sense?

I hope so, because it will prove to be a beautiful finish.
 From the inside, stitch 1/4" inseam from bottom of waistband.
When you turn the skirt right-side-out, you will see this darling narrow stitch 
trimming the bottom of the waistband. 
 Love it!
 Your waistband is finished!
The front will have a flat waistband, and the back will be gathered.

I love this waistband because it has the sleek look of a zippered skirt from the front, 
but it has the easy movement of elastic in the back.
AWESOME!
Kind of reminds me of the mullet tagline:
"Business in the front, party in the back"!
LOL!
Maybe I should rename this the Mullet Waistband. No?
Make sure to try the Back Elastic Waistband.
It truly is perfect for moms picking up Cheerios, toys, & kids off the floor:)
All in a days work....

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, I was just getting some dresses and a skirt cut out for our next wedding event :) I am going to try this waistband on my skirt. LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support!